Many beliefs involve blowing on the seed head to tell us something we want to know, and some of these are listed below:-
- If you blow hard on a dandelion seed head and all the seeds blow off, a wish will come true.
- Blow on a seed head until all the seeds are gone. The number of puffs it took will tell you what time it is. Alternatively, blow three times on the seed head and the number of seeds left will tell the time.
- If a woman blows hard on a seed head and all the seeds blow off, her lover loves only her. If seeds remain, he is not loyal.
- Blow on a seed head and the number of seeds left will tell you how many years you have left.
- Blow hard on a seed head and the number of seeds left will tell you how many children you will have.
- If you see seeds falling off the seed head when there is no wind, rain is on the way.
- Blow on a seed head and your wish will be carried to your lover.
Dandelion flowers also have beliefs surrounding them, include the following:
- If a child picks a dandelion flower off the plant, he will wet the bed that night.
- If you rub yourself all over with dandelion flowers, you will be welcome everywhere you go and your wishes will be granted.
- To find out if you will be rich, put a dandelion flower under your chin, and the degree of the glow on your chin will be the degree of your financial success.
This is the common dandelion, each flower head consists of hundreds of tiny ray flowers.
The flower head itself can change into the familiar, white, globular seed head overnight. Each seed has a tiny parachute, to spread far and wide in the wind. This is the part stage of the plants cycle that I personally think is most photogenic, hence the number of shots I have taken over the years!